The G4EGQ RAE
(Radio Amateurs' Exam) course.
For many years Pete Pennington G4EGQ ran a distance learning RAE course. You can download the lessons from the links below. Although the syllabus has changed they still contain very useful material for anyone studying particularly for the Advanced amateur radio examination.
Important information. Terms and Conditions of Use.
These files are offered free of charge to radio amateurs and anyone studying for the amateur radio examinations. Since writing this course and the introduction of the Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced amateur radio examinations there have been important changes to the licencing conditions and syllabus. These lessons are offered in good faith, and while they were believed to me a true reflection of the old RAE syllabus, there have been changes to the curriculum since then. Neither G4EGQ nor G4DCV accept any responsibility for any incorrect information contained in the lessons. Students must check the current textbook and syllabus to be sure that they are up to date.
These lessons are provided "as is" and no support can be provided for this material. Please do not send answers to the questions in these lessons to Pete even when you are requested to do so!
The lessons remain the copyright of Peter Pennington G4EGQ and may not be distributed for commercial purposes.
By clicking on the links below you agree to the terms and conditions above.
Please note that any sections that do not have links are not currently available.
- Operating 1
- Operating 2 & Operating 3
- Lesson A: Rules and Regs in BR68 (Part 1)
- Lesson B: Rules and Regs in BR68 (Part 2)
- Lesson C: Rules and Regs in BR68 (Part 3)
- Lesson 0: Frequency, wavelength & radio spectrum
- Lesson 1: and Lesson 1A Electricity, Units, Ohms Law & Resistors in series & parallel
- Lesson 2: Power rating, Pots, Magnetism, Relays & Loudspeakers
- Lesson 3: Electromagnetism, Induction, Transformers, Matching & Meters
- Lesson 4 and Lesson 4A: AC theory leading to resonance
- Lesson 5: Power supplies
- Lesson 6: Semiconductors
- Answers to lesson 6
- Lesson 6A: FETs & ICs
- Answers to Lesson 6A
- Lesson 7: Amplifiers and Oscillators
- Answers to Lesson 7
- Lesson 7A: Receivers: Superhets
- Answers to lesson 7A
- Lesson 8: Transmitter Oscillators, Buffers and Multipliers
- Answers to Lesson 8
- Lesson 8A: Propagation, aerials and feeders (Part 1)
- Lesson 8B: Propagation, aerials and feeders (Part 2)
- Lesson 8C: Progagation, aerials and feeders (Part 3)
- Lesson 9: Transmitter Power Amplifiers, Mixers, Amplitude Modulation
- Lesson 10: AM problems SSB FM
- Lesson 10A: EMC (Part 1)
- Lesson 10X: EMC (Part 2)
- Lesson 11: TVI interference
- Lesson 12: Measurements
- Lesson 12A: Valves
- Lesson 13 Part 1: Power measurements & dB (Part 1)
- Lesson 13 Part 2: Power measurements & dB (Part 2)
- Lesson 13A: Band plans & Safety
- Answers to 13A
- Lesson 14: Revision questions
- Answers to Lesson 14
- Mock exam
- Mock Exam Answers